kind of silly

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 14:30:08 -0500

        Sergio Mascarenhas gives reasons why Orlanthi women hate Rufelza, the Red Moon Goddess. Some of which are pretty silly, on the face of it.

  1. Loosely paraphrsaed as women shouldn't ac tlike men. Nonsense, any women that wants to act like a man is free to join Vinga. Ernaldans don't hate them, or think of them as "an evil and twisted manifestation of womanhood."
  2. .....By breaking the connection with earth, she throws away a woman's most important skills: the skills to fertilize the land and feed the people..... Take a look at the Lunar Runes, and you will find Life, Death, and the Moon. Why would anybody think that fertility is lost?
  3. ....They perceived it as the obscene exposition of a secret to be kept only to women: the secret of menstrual cycles..... Lunar cycles turn by sevens. Seven days in the Moon's cycle of phases, 49 years in a wane, etc. How did this get connected to the menstrual cycle which is around four weeks?
  4. ...their menstrual cycle will stop in the bleeding ("red") phase. Maybe women will bleed to death; or they will become barren, like the Red Goddess that only gave birth to one son. Last time anybody looked, the people in Tarsh (as in, the Lnar Province right next door) weren't barren, and didn't bleed to death. 5 & 6. never mind, these don't seem quite as silly and this is getting too long.

        Sergio, do it any way you want in your world. But in bog-standard Glorantha there are tens of thousands of Orlanthi living cheerfully under Lunar rule. Aggar, Skanthi Hills, Tarsh, Saird, Holay and Vanch come immeadiately to mind.

        Your reasoning doesn't appear to be deeply thought out considering my immeadiate abilty to point out holes in your arguments. The Sartarites have plenty of reason to hate the Lunars without logic chopping or inventing things. Start with, "Lunars consort with Chaos", and end with, "Lunar soldiers killed two of my brothers at _____". That should do the trick. Plenty of room in the middle to talk about danged invaders & tax demons and all the other physically visible incursions on 'normal' Orlanthi life.

                        Andrew

"The Muse struck me the other day, but I am recovering nicely"