Humakti/Pavis/Apotheosis

From: Simon Phipp <crassus_at_dol.ru>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 19:20:54 +0400

Dave Henry:

> I'd have to agree. It seems to me that in order to become a
> Humakti initiate, one would have to sever any ties to other gods.

Why do you have to sever all ties. Nowhere does it say that Humakti may only worship Humakt.

Andrew Joelson :
> Some of which are pretty silly, on the face of it.

Now, now - constructive criticisms please.

> Your reasoning doesn't appear to be deeply thought out considering
> my immeadiate abilty to point out holes in your arguments.

Tut, tut, can any of us point to a perfectly reasoned argument on the Digest (except me, of course). Be a little less harsh, please.

Michael Cule on Pavis:

> Ummm, well, yes.... But you don't see him going walkabout in the Market
> now do you?

Nor do you see Raiba, Shargash etc. walking around, but when the Red Goddess came to visit, the Gods got up from their comfy chairs and came out to see her. Pavis could well do the same. The only reason he hasn't is that he is too weak to challenge powerful invaders (and I don't mean that stripling Waha, either) and the trolls were certainly too big to fight without his old Allies.

As a matter of interest, why do you think that Pavis has been apotheosised and is out of the picture when the Dara Happan City Gods clearly haven't been, even though they are older and have more worshippers? Perhaps Pavis rolled a 01........

> No, sorry. You misunderstand. Apotheosis (in the sense that I'm using it
> here) is A Bad Thing.

Nope, did understand. Didn't like it.

> And then the pressure that builds up from all those people treating him
> as a God forces him from the Mundane World forever and he can do no more
> Great Deeds and must look on as an Immortal only to be called back to
> the world by his Priests and Initiates and then only for a little while.

And just because a weak deity rolls a 01 he is Apotheosised and forced from the world, whereas a vastly stronger deity can roll 96 every year and stay in the world? Does this sound reasonable? I was arguing about the validity of such a Function, not against Apotheosis.

> Apotheosis means becoming an NPC Deity.

Yes, I understood what you meant in this case.

Nick Brooke mentioned new Publications:

"Enclosure", "The Story of Our Red Goddess, called Rufelza", "Drastic Resolutions Volume Prax" are these available through the wonderful MegaCorp? Goodie, goodie, goodie.

"Book of Belintar" - sounds excellent.