Victoria Con report

From: Martin Laurie <MLaurie_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 17:12:20 -0400

The Con was a blast. It was great to finally meet so many people I've traded emails with over the last couple of years.

Friday night I arrived late to see the winding down of the welcoming ceremony. =

Saturday was Life of Moonson day.

The LARP was a lot of fun. I played Acutus, Prefect of the Mothers Guard Regiment and follower of Shargash (Force solves all problems being my motto). =

I entered the Regimental games which my regiment lost alas, the =

Gladiatorial games where I nearly died at the hands of the Tentacled Gladiator but found out who my enemies were when some gave me the thumbs down from the audience.

I failed in most of my goals but led a coup attempt which stirred things up somewhat but when I saw the forces arrayed against me I changed sides to that of another faction - which turns out to have been the same faction as the one supporting the triumvirate - suddenly there was no coup at all and the streets were filled with troops who had plainly only appeared to show their loyalty to the Empire......

I was also the lucky fellow to have a full assassination attempt against me which failed when I invoked Shargash, slaughtered the assassins and most of the population of a quarter of Glamour. Only Jar-eel managed to calm me with her harp.

All in all a very entertaining LARP with a tremendous amount of work from the Megacorp - those guys really put a shit load of =

effort into it - most impressive and I hope to see it again,

My biggest congrat goes to MOB for his superb performance as Moonson - I love your work, I really do.

The next day was the House of Malan LARP.

I played Erland Malansson, son of the King and general all round good guy. Though I stood loyally by my father during difficult times (raids from the Colymar, the Varmandi, the Culbrea and the Hyalorings) including the Treebrothers leaving the tribe to join the =

Colymar, the King had me outlawed after I killed Frohdi Strongblade, Chief of the Greydog Clan (I didn't like him, he offended me).

Naturally after such great treachery on behalf of the King, I joined his =

enemies in the Colymar and became their Tribal Champion. Thanks to King Bargradus (played by David Gadbois) I had a tribe again.

I only just escaped the vengence of the Greydogs who were now led by Indrodar Greydog, Champion of the Malani and best sword in =

the Quivini lands. Naturally I hid from Indrodar (both Frohdi and Indrod= ar

were played with great sportsmanship and humour by Roderick =

Robertson) as long as possible but ended up fighting him to a stand still by using a Thunderstone when he least expected it (courtesy of =

Sandy P, Issaries merchant without compare).

In he end there was a great heroquest which brought all the tribes to =

peace and "purified" me of my Kinslaying reputation so all was forgiven and I was once again Mister Popularity.

The LARP was a whole heap of fun and very hectic. Congrats to Neil, Jeff and Dave for their efforts.

I didn't hang around for the rest of the day as my ride had to go home for work the next day but while I was there I had a great time.

Looking forward to seeing you all next time.

One other thing - the CON magazine ENCLOSURE is great - I =

would suggest any one should buy it if you like sources of =

Gloranthan Lore.

Contents are:

Tribes & Clans of the Quivini in the 1350s Map of Quivniland
The Champions portion (by David Hall)
Heroquesting in Taming of Dragon Pass
Pendragon Pass Rules in their entirity
Kallyrs Flame - a story by Stephen Martin A Huscarls Lament
Maximum Game Fun by MOB
Words on War - the Orlanthi at war
Its the Litle things that make all the Difference a story by R.Andrew Bean
How to Tell the Barbarians apart
The Grazers in 1350
Cattle In Quivniland
The CULT OF SHARGASH
A vistors guide to Alkoth
Various stories
A History of the Elevens
Alkoth at War
The Weeders by Greg Stafford
Gods and Goddesses of the Lunar Empire by Greg

Plus a whole lot more.

Well worth $15 IMO so get ordering. =

Martin Laurie