YACR (Yet Another Con Report)

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 14:23:11 -0700

Impressions of Glorantha-Con V:

There were a surprising number of Australians at the con. And rabbits. Hmm...

Although the accomodations were very spread out, the suites were excellent for parties, of which there were many (occasionally too noisy for the exchange students, who alas were too young to invite). Speaking of parties, a high point was seeing Nick Brooke simply switch off. Apparently he then passed back in and went on to another party.

Observation: To the best of my knowledge, not a single game of RuneQuest was played. (This isn't necessarily related to the legal severing, more likely due to the fact that at any one time, over half the con was in a LARP.) Low points: having to get up for my 9am game. (The game, Diet of Wyrms, went fairly well, though I wish it had gone on a little longer so the plot against the Emperor could have gone off.) "Group hug" being the watch-phrase of the con. Hearing "Indissoluble Union" sung way too many times. Showing off a copy of Enclosure, only to find out it had been misprinted (luckily, there were only a few such books). Being constantly mistaken for an organizer. The University-provided food. The cancelling of the storytelling event (originally booked for 2 hours). Possibly just as well, since I now have a much better ending for my story.

High points: the Seven Cakes of the Goddess. Four new products (Enclosure, Drastic: Prax, Rufelza, Glamour). The fine costumes of the LARPs. Accomplishing most of my Life of Moonson goals, including one as a side effect of being hauled before the Triumvirate. "Indissoluble Union" as the closing moment of Life of Moonson. The parties. The convention organizers bringing in food. Sandy's seminars. Not being out-bid by Andre Jarosch at the auction. Greg's new book-in-progress -- if he can't be truly objective, the Pharaoh is a fine subjective voice -- which brings back the monomyth (now from the bottom up instead of the top down). The many fine people I met.

Definitely a good time, and I'll certainly be at the next North American con, if not one before. Thanks again to the organizers!

Trent Di Renna wondered

Always start at my web site... in this case <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/products.html> (soon to be updated for the new publications mentioned above) and <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/recommendation.html>.