RG,/Pavis/Time/Ducks/Upland Marsh/

From: Simon Phipp <crassus_at_dol.ru>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 12:59:00 +0400

Andrew Joelson:

> The RMG is not a Chaos Goddess. Her Runes are Life, Death, and
> the Moon. She merely sees Chaos as a fact of life, and occasionally
> usefull as a tool.

I am sure that she used to have a Chaos Rune, perhaps in Gods of Glorantha?

Trent Di Renna asked about Gloranthan sources.

Look at David Dunham's Web Site, there is a list of supplements and advice on which to buy given by Nick Brooke.

Dave Bailey (presumably not a photographer) on Pavis:

> I'm not up with the finer points of HeroQuesting
Who Is?

> but am I right in =
> thinking that they will be questing to create or find a myth that will =
> allow the two cults to be bound together?

Possibly, but I don't think this is necessary. After all, both Deities are from within Time (even though the Red Goddess has proven herself transcended). I think that a mere exchange of powers etc. would suffice. In the same way that Pavis gained the use of Elementals from local cults.

> Will Pavis actually become the =
> husband (one of many?) of the Red Goddess
Yes

> Does the God have a choice?

There is always a choice - marry me or be fried. However, the Lunars are patient and Pavis is not important enough to threaten, so they would wait until he has to accept. At the moment, Pavis is ambivalent but his Priests are against the move (it reduces their power).

> Can he interfere with the
> Lunar questing to prevent its success?
> Could the Orlanthi counter quest to prevent this?
Yes and Yes.

> Are there previous examples?

The Red Emperor courted Gorgorma with "arcane sorceries" in order to marry her and father Yara Aranis. The Red Goddess persuaded the Dara Happan Triplois City Gods to side with her.
I can't think of any examples of counter-questing working, but there are probably loads.

> Presumably the upshot of all this is that Pavis will have an Association
=
> with one or more Lunar Gods (getting all the swapped spells etc) and be =
> ranked among the pantheon?

Yup.

As Joerg pointed out, most of the real benefits will be political/social (cititenship, tax freebies etc.) but I pointed out that there would first be political deals hammered out, then the mystical marriage.

Jane Williams on Ducks:

> Might I suggest that the
> chaos-cleansing powers of flowing water (c.f. Cleansed One sub-cult of
> Zola Fel) might give the ducks a positive advantage against Chaos?

Possibly, but I don't think the Ducks are major Chaos fighters.

> And
> that their link with Humakt might have been strengthened by their using
> this power to help him against Undead?

I had a story, unseen by anyone, explaining how Delecti, as a good EWF Mage, created the Upland Marsh in order to protect his subjects from the Evil Golden Horde. In order to do this, he had to agree to protect the wildlife and people of the area. One of these were the Ducks. Thus, Delecti does not harrass the Ducks and they are protected from all but the most mindless Undead. I also think that the Ducks continually try to kill Undead because they know that Delecti will not attack them in return.

On Duck Pond and Duck Tower:
> Has anyone managed to find locations for them that make sense?

Absolutely - stick them within Upland Marsh, but just near the borders. For Duck Pond, assume that the Marsh tried to expand and swallow the Pond, causing the people to flee, but that the local Nymphs held the advance back enough to be an island of tranquility. For Duck Tower, assume that the Pale Daughters have been defeated in a HeroQuest and that an area of the Upland Marsh has been freed and can be reclaimed.

I have a theory that the Upland Marsh is continually engaged in a struggle where it is waxing and waning depending on the successes or failures of the Pale Daughters and the Ducks/Orlanthi/Humakti who oppose them.

Howard Fielding:
> When did Time become a god? I don't recall Time ever being born as an
> entity.

He was born when Arachne Solara gave birth to him from the devoured remains of Kajabor. (Cults of Terror).

> I though Time was a product of the Great Compromise. Time has existed
> ever since the Great Compromise and the First Dawn and all that.

He was always a God, he even has a name, but I can't remember it. He was born together with his 294 brothers and sisters who accompanied him from Hell. As a matter of interest, the Compromise says that everything within Time must come to an end, this includes Time itself - in Glorantha Time will eventually stop. Don't know when, though.

Nick Brooke:

> What, like Entropy, you mean? A relentless progression through
> seemingly random attrition towards a more orderly (because dead and
> lifeless) state

Wow - sounds like where I work.

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #85