Re: Vinga; Yelorna; LARP combat; mistress race; ducks

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 18:43:20 -0700

Jane Williams wrote

> This is one reason why I disagree with some people's ideas on Vinga. They
> have her as a bra-burning feminist, and in Sartar there's no need.

I don't think there's any place Vinga is worshipped where this is needed...

James Turner wondered

> Can someone tell me which supplement had the RQ2 Yelorna write up.

Big Rubble.

> Was there ever a RQ3 one?

Sun County has a partial writeup, according to the Meints Index to Glorantha. Also, the Prax volume of Book of Drastic Resolutions has one (though I haven't read that far yet).

Trent Di Renna wondered

> I've always been curious how the LARPs at the various conventions are
> run. Are they live-combat with "boffer" weapons, like IFGS or NERO, or
> is it more like Mind's Eye Theatre or Cthulhu Live? Being a LARPer
> myself, I am quite curious.

Generally with rock-scissors-paper modified by ability cards. (Chris Gidlow ran a boffer-less acted out combat in one game.)

Nigel Phillips wondered about mistress race troll birth (or rebirth). From comments made by Greg and Sandy at Glorantha-Con V, a mistress race troll has to be born in the underworld. And none have since the Dawn (except any offspring Arkat may have fathered).

Simon Phipp wrote

> I had a story, unseen by anyone, explaining how Delecti, as a good EWF
> Mage, created the Upland Marsh in order to protect his subjects from the
> Evil Golden Horde. In order to do this, he had to agree to protect the
> wildlife and people of the area. One of these were the Ducks.

I didn't attend the session, but apparently Ducks are Delecti's subjects -- he was probably involved in making them (the EWF did, and in my mini-LARP, Delecti was the Chief Scientist of the Remakers, so I view him as a very likely candidate). This explains how ducks are quite different from the Keets. Also, the reason they picked up Orlanthi culture is that, being created, they had no culture of their own. And since they were made in Dragon Pass, surrounded by Orlanthi...

And supposedly ducks EAT undead.