Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #86

From: Simon D. Hibbs <s.hibbs_at_forestry.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 09:57:39 +0100 (BST)

Pavis and the RMG (Nick Brooke) :

>It's likely priests of Pavis will be able to cross over as associate
>priests of Lunar deities, perhaps getting into the Red Goddess cult
>without requiring illumination.

I thought that was a requirement, regardless what your orriginal cult?

>I strongly doubt that all the citizens of Pavis would overnight receive
>access to zillions of Lunar associate spells, at least not without
>sacrificing to Pavis and the Goddess jointly.

My understanding is that associate cult spells are gained as a result of aid and assistance between gods in myth. That degree of integration into the Lunar pantheon would take a lot of time and heroquesting.

>Like I say, Pavis is a poxy backwater from the Empire's POV. Sure, he'll
>be "ranked among the Lunar pantheon" -- but do you care to guess just how
>highly he's ranked?

Quite, though I'm sure the Lunars would love to ally Pavis closely in the fullness of time. Converting Pavis to a staunch Lunar ally would be of enormous benefit. Ultimately, converting the entire Rubble population into a microcosm of the all-encompasing harmony and peace offered by the Lunar Way - And their gods help anyone who does not fall into line!

Becoming a Troll (Nigel Phillips) :

>It would have to be unusual, and I would think that most trollkin avoid
>prestige for fear of being eaten, but if a trollkin did acquire prestige
>(say by spectacularly protecting the clan dark troll children during a
>human attack), could it be done? If it can, could it be an incentive in
>the control of trollkin, a rare carrot as against the many sticks?

I doubt it's a benefit that anyone would consider to be 'on offer' in that sense. A trollkin wanting to achieve it would face epic obstacles, as would a human. Just look at the trials and opposition Arkat had to face. The very idea of it's possibility threatens the cohesion of Troll society, what if the other Trollkin started thinking they too could be just as good as their masters? Any caste based or slave owning society is founded on the asumtion of the innate rightness and justice of it's divisions. Admitting exceptions is dangerous and is bound to be opposed by many.

That's not to say it's impossible - just heroicaly difficult.

Simon