Chaos vs. the Rest

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 05:49:14 -0400

Nikk E writes:

> IMG the Trolls are thought of as being no better than chaos.

Well, they're one of the things which blighted the world in the Great Darkness, sure. I'm not sure trolls are "as bad as" broo. But if you live near trolls and not near broo, this is irrelevant. Think locally; act locally!

> They are considered to be those people who followed the Evil
> Emperor to Hell after Orlanth bravely slew him.

Unlikely, as most myths agree the trolls came up from Hell after Yelm was sent down below. Maybe they're the Evil Emperor's attempt to conquer the world *after* he was sent to Hell? This would help strengthen the disassociation between the Evil Emperor and Yelm (as is apparently required by modern rethinks of Orlanthi myths), as the trolls obviously hate the Sun-God.

David Cake writes:

> Orlanthi do make that big distinction between Chaos and everything
> else.

Agreed. But that doesn't mean that "everything else" is OK by them. Just because the trolls, Yelmies, etc. may be anti-Chaos does *not* make them "good people". This would lead down a Moorcockian garden path (with the "Lawful" Storm Bull allied with all good Gloranthans in the fight against Chaos) which is *not* appropriate for this game world. Bugger Krarsht.

::::
Nick
::::