RE: The Glorantha Digest V5 #87

From: Bernuetz, Oliver: WPG <Bernuetz.Oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 10:30:35 -0400

Roderick Robertson:

>Sunday's LARP, the Fall of the House of Malan was more good clean fun. As
>Chief Frohdi of the Grey Dogs, I was able to keep my clan from splitting
>up, and our distinctive battle-howl also helped keep us together. While the
>Orlevings and Tree-brothers foreswore their oaths to the King, the Greydogs
>were loyal, especially after the cowardly murder of Chief Frohdi by that
>nithing Erland (his brother in law).

Hey loyalty is a two way street what were we Orlevings to think when Malan's first act is to make an allegiance with that nithing Varmand? Hatred of Varmand
was our main uniting force. If there was one thing we all agreed upon it was (to
use Storm Speech) Varmando delenda est! After we had settled our internal conflicts, (I came very close to driving out or killing one of my own followers.
Only the intervention of my old friend Oddi the Stone prevented a fight) the things
we wanted most were to retrieve our war banner and kill Varmand. The one time we managed to get Malan interested in killing Colymari and Varmand we got chased off by a string of dried willies! After I'd given my best efforts to rally
the troops. Hmmph. After that we had to rely on the Trickster to steal our war
banner for us-only after King Maninski (sp?) and Varmand waved it in our face
demoralizing the lot of us and looted our stead looking for some map.

Our only loyal ally through all this was Erland Malansson. I made it quite clear to him that he was always welcome in Orleving territory even after he slew Frohdi (not that I cared two figs for that howling mongrel and his lackluster
pack) and was outlawed. I stuck by my loyal friends and it sure didn't look like
Malan was one of them. Allying himself with my sworn enemies. What was I to think?

I was all prepared to join the Colymar (even went so far as to tell their king I would
but this didn't go over so well with the other Orlevings so I had to change my mind).
Besides he wanted us to accept wiergild from Varmand-fat chance! I was loyal
enough to join in on the second attack on the Treebrothers. I even got to challenge Varmand to personal combat. Unfortunately he killed me and chopped
off my head. The Orlevings had to ransom my head back and managed to heal me.
After that things didn't get any better. I participated in the Summoning of Evil ritual
and was none too pleased to see Maninski as King of Dragon Pass standing there with Malan and Varmand after the LBQ Malan performed. Happy ending my arse.
If people thing the Orlevings would ever forgive Varmand they're sadly mistaken.
And if the Graydogs think I wouldn't avenge Erland they're barking up the wrong tree.

(These Orlanthi don't seem capable of forgiving and forgetting do they?)

All in all lots of fun. We were the tightest bunch of all the Malani (must have been
the clan tartan-thanks again for the loan of the fabric) and usually worked together
quite well-with the possible exception of the chief who let his power go to his head).

Orlev the Tall, Chief of the Orlevings
aka Oliver D. Bernuetz
bernuetz.oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca

"One of the most exotic of all foodstuffs that I have ever had the pleasure of
eating was a most delicate cheese made from the mother's milk of the Queen of Teshnos. Delicious and most rare."

>From Fresser's Gourmet Guide to Glorantha

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #88