Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #86

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 13:22:56 -0400 (EDT)

David Weihe:
<< Is there anything that matches "monthly", then?>>

    Orbital period of Tolat, the largest planet in the sky, and the only one (discounting the moon) bright enough to be visible during the daytime.

    And menstrual cycles, of course!

 <<Should the Theyalan calendar have "Courses" instead of "Months"? >>

    Probably. But my personal opinion is that words like 'month' are best left in English, rather than trying to construct a new word more in keeping with their gameworld etymology. I came across this a few times while planning a Rennaisance-era fantasy game, i.e. a particular word is used for something in the RW because of something that just doesn't apply in this particular fantasy world. Unless the derivation is really obvious, I ignored this so as to avoid ending up sounding like I was speaking a foreign language. So although 'month' derives from 'moon' in the RW, I personally wouldn't bother making up a new word for it. Your MGF may differ.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

    Trotsky