Trolls

From: Michael C. Morrison 8-543-4706 <mmorrison_at_VNET.IBM.COM>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 13:58:37 -0700 (PDT)

All this talk lately of trolls' being very much more dangerous than I, at least, recall makes me wonder ... Even our august Sandy paints Uz as being so motivated by hunger as to be exceedingly dangerous.

It seems to me, then, that adventuring in troll lands (as in Troll Pak) is not only dangerous, but also boring. Every troll you (as a non-troll) meet will try to kill you and eat you. No role playing for you the player, just combat after combat after ... The bar scene (in RQ2 Troll Pak at least, haven't run in the RQ3 version) would never happen! "Look, food!", the bartender says while four drunken uz run toward the door as the humans enter the bar. Swords and maces clash ...

Trolls should be dangerous and nonhuman and scary and hard to understand, but they shouldn't become like gorp, interested in killing and eating to the exclusion of everything else. How dull! I know we had a long argument about all this in the Digest a year or so ago, so I don't want to start a flame war, or even resurrect that discussion, but I thought I'd post a counter point to the recent troll posts.

Michael

Michael C. Morrison   Santa Teresa Laboratory      Phone (408)463-4706
IMS User Technology   IBM Software Solutions       Fax   (408)463-3696
Lotus Notes ID:       MCMORRIS at IBMUSM50   IBMLink:  MORRISON_at_TORIBM
IBM Mail Exchange:    USIB47H4 at IBMMAIL     or   USIB4MCM at IBMMAIL
X.400 Address:        G=mcmgm; S=morrison; P=ibmmail; A=ibmx400; C=us