Nick on Pavis

From: goihl_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de <goihlk_at_komma.fddi2.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 17:07:44 +0000

Hy Gloranthans,

Joerg writes:
> This year's German RQ-Con freeform saw me (Cyrilius Harmonious)
> in the role of Pavis marry the priestess of the Red Goddess

Nick:
Story was, I was playing an underpriestess of Porusa the Patient, High Priestess of the Seven Mothers in Pavis. (The Con organisers offered me the chance to play a female part at my bachelor party, which seemed suitably Saturnalian, but then decided to go male.

 And my opportunism (in seizing
others' successes and proclaiming them as victories for the Lunar Way and my own missionary work) was self-evident to others; cf. Lewis Jardine's Sor-Eel report for an entirely fair assessment of my overblown underachievement in the game.

Daniel: Nils Weinander intends to put these reports on his website. I don't know when he'll get around to it (and when I'll finally write the introduction to it) but if anyone writes to us about it we may get going sooner.

Nick, further:
Anyoldhow, one of my game objectives was to marry Pavis off to the Red Goddess. No strings attached. And I stepped nimbly into Porusa's shoes to attempt this. Now, I negotiated with the High Priest of the Pavis cult, and he agreed this was a good idea.

At the end of the day, the Lunars *must* have wanted something out of the marriage beyond simple rule over Pavis. I was able to force through the wedding because, in the freeform, I was under no constraints: there weren't any "hidden clauses" in the Lunar marriage-offer. It must have been the Rubble we were after, but my character knew nothing about this...

I can only assume that Porusa had hidden goals which myself as her successor was completely unaware of: by going for a minimal success (a marriage entirely on the Pavis cult's terms), I may have succeeded in my ostensible goal (of fixing the marriage), but almost certainly failed the Empire.
If so, it's their fault for not telling me what they wanted. :-)

Daniel: We didn't put in any conditions for Nick because there was enuf going on with the rest of the planning. We thot marriage would be enuf of a goal, and that it might not be so easy, as the Pavis cult were partially against it. We did put in that one of the Pavis priests especially was to pretend to go along with the marriage, but to keep stalling, as was mentioned as happening. I don't think Nick failed the Empire at all. Being married to Pavis brings the advantage of "sharing" the husband's magic and artifacts from the Rubble, or? Well, all the mistakes were our fault anyway, but as far as telling Nick what I want that could be a private matter between us. Daniel

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #89