menstruation

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 1997 17:29:38 EDT

Sandy suggests that perhaps the menstruation cycle in Glorantha is tied to the eight week seasons. Given that the planet Entekos is associated with women in at least two societies, and has a period of 31 days (close to earth's moon), it might make a better candidate. The fact that Entekos is not red in any way, shape, or form is unfortunate, but not completely prohibitive. Note that I freely admit that the 8-week planet Artia is red, and is often called a Moon in many older writings.

After all, 8 weeks is not all that long, true, but this would lead to only 5 1/4 menstrual cycles in a Gloranthan year, as opposed to 12 or 13 in the RW. 31 days at least gives us 9 or so, closer to the norm.

All IMO only, of course.

On this subject, and the subject of time, I recently realized that if Greg, Steve, and co. had made each season 10 weeks long at the start of time (i.e., 1977) instead of 8 weeks long, the Gloranthan year would be 364 days long instead of 294. Oh, for a time machine....

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com