Hungry Trolls

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 23:20:40 -0400 (EDT)

Nick Brooke wrote:
>> Actually, I thought trolls didn't like to eat undead -- the non
>> ZZ models were icky, and the ZZ creations were sacred.
>Sure, trolls would *never* eat "icky" food, James... :-)

Nonono -- imagine how incredibly awful food would have to be that a *troll* would consider it icky. Awk.

Seriously, though, it does suggest in Trollpak that a troll'll turn their nose up at zombie goulash or mashed mummy. Food of last resort -- apparently just about anything else is more desirable than an undead carcass...?

Michael C. Morrison wrote:

> Trolls should be dangerous and nonhuman and scary and hard to understand,
> but they shouldn't become like gorp, interested in killing and eating
> to the exclusion of everything else. How dull! I know we had a long
> argument about all this in the Digest a year or so ago, so I don't
> want to start a flame war, or even resurrect that discussion, but I
> thought I'd post a counter point to the recent troll posts.

Here, here! The threads are running to gastronomical Marxism -- that trolls are singularly and overwhelmingly motivated by stuffing their bellies, to the exclusion of everything else. Yes, eating *is* much more important for a troll (no question of that!), and trolls that have a hard time getting ahold of food (e.g., Wild Trolls) are dangerous in their need to feed.

But civilized trolls may not *need* to spend 100% of their time finding food and snarfing it down. If they can obtain a steady food source to support an urban population (fishing, hunting, maybe even agriculture) then trolls can turn their thoughts to other things -- trade, art, internal power struggles, and even thinking of humans as something other than as long pig.

One of the things I'd always wished Trollpak had delved a little further into was the trollish economy -- just how do they manage to support towns or small cities? Can hunting alone (or fishing) do it -- is there enough hunting within a couple of days range?