Kana Poor, Scribe of Time

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 05:57:16 -0400

Stephen notes:

> "Kana Poor, Scribe of Time, and Wielder of Age". No mention of him > is made later in any source...

One reason we'll be refurbishing the the "prototype" Glamour Book is that we couldn't fit in an article by Greg Stafford on the gods of the Lunar Pantheon, given time and art constraints. This includes a suggestion of mine: Kana Poor is one of the "Heroes and Heroines of the Lunar Empire", the prophetic figure who declared the end of the First Wane and beginning of the Second in the year 1302.

: Kana Poor
: Scribe of Time
: A disciple of Irrippi Ontor, Kana Poor mastered secrets of the Red
: Goddess and inaugurated the recording of Lunar history. He was first
: to discern the fifty-four year cycle of the Lunar Wanes, hailing the
: inception of the Second Wane during the New Year festivities of 1302
: S.T. (This has forever after been 2/1 in the Lunar calendar). He is
: also regarded as first among the Chronomancers, those Lunar magi who
: have a special understanding of Cyclical Time and the waxing and
: waning flux of Lunar energies.

This postulates a long and distinguished First Wane career for this historian-magus-hero: I wouldn't be surprised to find him as a herocult  of Irrippi Ontor, with special abilities to determine exactly the right time to cast Lunar magic for best effect (e.g. enhancing the normal Cyclical benefits by one level, perhaps through use of Ceremony at the time of casting).

Temporal powers can be all about "knowing when it's the best time to do something", and needn't be about speeding up or slowing down or travelling forwards or backwards through that most constant medium. (My hatred of time-travelling HeroQuests has surpassed reasonable limits, and threatens to consume the cosmos).

::::
Nick
::::