Kana Poor

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 1997 14:33:32 EDT

Nick Brooke makes somes suggestions about Kana Poor to Greg and the Digest. While I can agree with most of it, one part I do not agree with is placing him as a disciple of Irrippi Ontor.

At the Battle of the Four Arrows of Light, there are, naturally, four arrows. Two are members of the Seven Mothers, Irrippi Ontor (First Arrow) and Yanafal Ta'arnils (Second Arrow); the Fourth Arrow is the Goddess herself. All powerful people. And yet we would then have the Third Arrow, the Arrow of Pure Sky Light, wielded by a follower of Irrippi? I think not, especially because the History of the Lunar Empire specifrically states that each of the arrows was more powerful than the last -- Irrippi weakest, then Yanafal, then Kana Poor, then Rufelza.

So, I propose that Kana Poor is someone potentially more powerful than Irrippi, certainly, and possibly even Yanafal.

Since he is the Scribe of Time and Wielder of Age, I would suggest that his role was to stop time or something similar, somehow make the baby god time burp a little, to make the no-time of the goddess' birth possible. I note that at the birth of the goddess the Young Elementas, who had been trapped outside of Time, appeared.

The question remains then, who is he, if he is not one of the Seven Mothers? There are a number of possibilities, but I suggest the following: we know from published sources that there were members of the Seven Mothers "conspiracy" who were not actually among the Seven Mothers. One of these was a horse tribe shaman, per HLE, Zero Wane. Kana Poor was probably someone else who supported the goddess' birth, but was not part of the central ceremony.

He could be a friend of Irrippi from Yuthuppa, perhaps, since he wields the Arrow of Pure Sky Light for the goddess. Shoot, given that his arrow was released at High Noon, he could even be that horse shaman, I suppose.

Unless Kana Poor is actually She Who Waits, of course....

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com