Drastic Oceans

From: Sérgio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 15:57:11 +0100

Stephen Martin about Drastic Resolutions:
> I am currently considering an Oceans and Islands issue
For people working on sea travels and ocean related campaigns I can suggest some RW books for inspiration. They are accounts of Portuguese navigation and travels in the 16th century when Portugal created the first worldwide sea born empire. The references are from Amazon.com:

(This is a must-read: the first person account of an ADVENTURER in India and the Sea of China.)

Reprint Edition
Paperback
Published by Marsilio Pub
Publication date: October 1, 1995
Dimensions (in inches): 8.28 x 5.50 x .79 ISBN: 1568860056
List: $16.95 ~ Our Price: $13.56 ~ You Save: $3.39 (20%)

or

The First Voyage Around the World : 1519-1522 an Account of Magellans Expedition (1519-1522)
by Antonio Pigafetta, Theodore J. Cachey (Editor)

Hardcover
Published by Marsilio Pub
Publication date: October 1, 1995
Dimensions (in inches): 8.46 x 5.72 x .94 ISBN: 1568860048
List: $24.00 ~ Our Price: $24.00

(The account of the first travel around the world by one of its participants.)

Published by Periodicals Service Co
Publication date: June 1959
ISBN: 0811504034 (This is another must-read: a collection of descriptions of sunk ships by the survivors. Unfortunatelly this edition is out of print. I think that there are other more modern editions but I couldn't find them.)

Here is an history that can give you the taste of it: A Portuguese sailor and adventurer was the first european to reach the kingdom of Pegu - now Burma. Like most Portuguese traveling in the indic and pacific oceans, his intentions were to trade and establish political links. The king received him and, since he was very curious, asked the adventurer to tell him about the distant and unknown lands of Europe. The Portuguese talked and talked. The king was amazed and impressed. At a certain moment, the sailor told the king that in the far north weather was so cold that water would freeze and become hard as rock. At that point the king started to laugh and laugh. Solid water? How could it be??? That foreigner was joking and trying to full him. Finally he chased the sailor out of his court. Portuguese had to wait for the next king in Pegu to reestablish diplomatic and trade relations.

Sergio Mascarenhas