Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #96

From: Sérgio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 10:58:27 +0100

Daniel McCluskey - Subject: Uz in PenDragon Pass...

> biggest problem I have is the fact that
> Great Trolls seem like complete Hell on Wheels. (...)
> 1) They're Supposed to be Hell on Wheels.
Yes, they are and they should remain.

> 2) They're Tough -- But Stupid. I may consider adding INT back
I vote yes for INT and its consequences.

> 3) "Well, they're just not really THAT big" I could always just scale
> down the stats. (this could help dark trolls too. They also hit just a
> little harder than I think they ought to) I don't really want to do
> this as many places as the RQ stats are published...
IMO you should keep them just as they are.

Any way, here are some propositions to deal with your problem:

1 - Tactics: Great Trolls are Hell on Wheels when they are on Troll lands and they should remain like that. After all, you don't have to go there... But in other places things get different. Consider a Great Troll in the middle of Prax, facing a Storm Khan mounted on a rhino and armed with a long lance. It's Hell on Wheels facing Hell on Turbo Wheels !

2 - Methabolism: Great Trolls would have slow methabolisms. When they're hungry they eat a lot but it would take them several days to diggest. Meanwhile they'ld just sleap (the analogy here is with leopards).

3 - Personnality: I expect that you will keep personnality traits in Pendragon Pass. Maybe you can find some limitations concerning Great trolls' personnality.

4 - Demographics: Great trolls are Hell on Wheels against a single man. But if they have to face several... (Just think of the adventurer's party: "Folks, there is a Great Troll there. If we act togheter, we can kill him very easely. Now, I suggest that you Bernard go down there to attract the beast while I'll hide in this corner to attack him form behind...".)

5 - Magic: Great trolls should have a very limited access to magic, specially divine magic.

Sergio Mascarenhas