We're Were

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 17:23:51 -0400 (EDT)

Stephen Martin on the word 'were':
<< Can anyone tell me the linguistic origin of this word, or any modern day  words (besides werewolf, etc.) which we can relate it to? Although not an  exact science, linguistics is one of the best tools for studying Glorantha, IMO. >>     It's Anglo-Saxon. The only other word I can think of derived from it is 'weregild', which is hardly modern. For anyone who doesn't know, this (literally man-tribute) was the amount that one had to pay under Anglo-Saxon law as compensation if you killed the person in question. Obviously high-ranking nobles had a much higher weregild than people lower down the social ladder. It's kind of like the concept of 'ransom' in RQ.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

    Trotsky