A Duck Monomyth

From: Sérgio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 23:56:57 +0100

Here I try to conciliate three different views on ducks into a single coherent view. the three positions are:

The basic statement is that yes, ducks resulted from a golden age curse when they lost the hability to fly and to lay eggs. They lived in Ganderland south-east of the spike.

After the curse they split into two families:
- - A family followed Drulkazan (this is my invention); Drulkazan accepted to
be wingless. He called his family Drulz the Proud Walkers. They headed north-west and correspond to the description I've been posting in Duck Mini Pack. When they befriended Zong, Drulkazan changed the name of his family to Druluz. They reside in DP north of Sartar, south-west of Dagori Inkarth.

In historical times and until the second age nobody south of the Shadow Plateau
knew about the existance of ducks.

In the EWF Delecti took a particular interest on Durulz the wingless. They were a model for his own experiments. It was through Delecti that they acknowledged the existance of keets. That was a good notice and it arose their interest on the far east (in relation with their myths concerning the recovering of wings).

The Dragon Kill War killed all humans living in DP - the humans that knew that ducks had lived there from before time. When humans re-entered the pass, they found ducks there. It is natural that they took them for beast men. That idea was reinforced when scholars found that all references to ducks were contained in EWF documents and related them with their protector Delecti, creator of bestmen. That explains why humans started to think that ducks were his creation.
Ducks didn't contradict that idea. First, nobody asked them. Second, when they said they weren't Delecti's creation, nobody believed them. Third, if men thought they were related to Delecti, men would be more careful when dealing with them.

Meanwhile, Durulz the wingless started to migrate south in direction of the sea, looking for a way to east. But the closing of the oceans annulated their efforts.

What about keets? I see two possibilities:

1- they are a third duck family that, for some reason, wasn't cursed in the golden age. When the darkness came, they were blessed with arms instead of wings. That way they could hide and escape more easily their enemies. They retained the hability to lay eggs.

2- they are not ducks but a different species of birds. When the darkness came, they were blessed with arms instead of wings. That way they could hide and escape more easily their enemies. They retained the hability to lay eggs. In this case, Durulz the Wingless are wrong in thinking that keets are also ducks.

Sergio Mascarenhas