Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #99

From: Simon Phipp <simonphipp_at_netpass.ru>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 22:17:35 +0400

> Most of the comments on ducks relating them to EWF seem to reinforce the
> comics-like and stereotiped vision of ducks.
> Now, if that approach is going to become standard, here is my proposal:
>
> Ducks don't even exist. They're illusions created by Delecti.

Now, now Sergio, don't be silly. Just because come people don't take Ducks seriously, it doen't mean that you shouldn't.

Keep on playing Ducks as seriously as you want and we'll do the same. Keep on posting Duck things and more people will take them seriously - I can guarantee it.

Paul Harmaty:
> I don't know why Ducks prosper on the fringe of the Upland Marsh, but I'm

> skeptical of claims that it's military superiority.
Because Delecti lets them live, no other reason.

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> Dragons live forever, but not so little boys
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Not so Dragons, either, especially in Carmania, near Orlanth ....

Erik Sieurin <erik.sieurin_at_sp.se>
> 1, Trolls can eat Everything. The possibility of a troll starving seems
> slim.

But they like to eat certain expensive foods, like dwarf or elf or newtling.

> 2, Trolls can live almost anywhere. Heat and lack of protection from
> sunlight is Bad, but you can dig a cool cave, and you'll have food in
> the meantime.

But they like to live with other trolls, in Clan and Family structures, trolls are very communal creatures.

> 3, Trolls don't care much for clothing, it seems.
Says who? When you have six breasts you need somehting to keep things together.
Trolls use clothing like anyone else, expecially to keep the Sun off when outdoors during the day or to keep from harm when fighting, or for ceremonial use.

> That explains how they can have cities, crafters etc while still being
> hunters/herdsmen (of insects, who like the Uz themselves are very
> frugal, really)

The Uz are truly blessed by Kyger Litor who takes care of all their needs.

Rick Meints points out how Delecti may have created the Upland Marsh, using a version of Korang the Slayer's Quest. I alwasy assumed he did something akin to the binding of the Mad Sultanate by persuading the Earth Nymphs to break up the Earth, similar to the SnakePipe Hollow creation. Hmmm, would Delecti have used a Chaos HeroQuest, I'm not sure......

I also happen to think that Delecti himself was not saved by his actions and was killed by the True Golden Horde, that is why he is Undead (I believe he is Undead, but certainly not a Vampire).

Nick Brooke:
> Simon proposed that the Carmanians look:
>
>> more like Mycenean Greeks with Boar Helmets, Mail Shirts and
>> big swords.
>
> Hmmm... Mycenean Greek heavy cavalry (the distinctive Carmanian
> military trait)? I think not...

More along the lines of two cultures with huge Stone Citadels on mountains, invading from afar, ruling the peasants, both having a Heroic Tradition, both having a Warrior Class, both military based. As for the Myceneans not having heavy cavalry, I can't remember the Romans having Flying Boats or a Vampire Legion, but you still drew comparisons between them and the Lunars.....

> Still, if it works IYG, why not, eh?

Actually it doesn't, I have no real interest in Carmania except for the Vampire Lords on the Borders.
Hang on, my Sense Sarcasm is twinging (eh?!!!!!!)

> what does the afterlife of an Illuminated look like, assuming
> that the person belonged to several cults. Does (s)he get to
> choose what god to join ranks with or what happens?

I always assumed that if he were powerful enough he'd go wherever he wanted to (Orlanth's Band of Heroes for instance) and if he were weak then the Gods could fight for him.
Presumably, if he had more than a basic knowledge of Illumination he could mask his Cult Ties and enhance the Ties of the Cult he wanted to go with. Just a thought.

A question on Vampires:
Assuming that they follow Mahome's Curse and may not cross a Hearth unless invited (which I strongly favour) does the invite "You can come in if you are not a Vampire" work - does it stop Vampires? Personally, I don't think it does.

Anyway, I've just printed off 300 pages from Websites and it has tired me out, so I'm going home.
Ha! The Racoon Quest has an Alkali Spirit - just the thing for those who are resistant to Acid (takes me back to my campaign, attacks with Alkali, Heat (Not Fire), Ice (Not Cold), Lava (neither Heat nor Fire, that's a good one, especially with Lava Spear).

Anyway, going now.

Simon

Simon Phipp <simonphipp_at_netpass.ru>

Alf on eavesdropping "You crawl under people's houses, you hear things"