RE: The Glorantha Digest V5 #102

From: Sandy Petersen <SPetersen_at_ensemble-studios.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 10:34:42 -0500

	Stephen Martin
	WHAT IS DARKNESS:

	A Yelmie -darkness is the absence of all that is good. Where
light does not penetrate, darkness abounds. Where truth is not heard, ignorance and lies prosper. Where love cannot live, hate must perforce fill the empty heart.

        A Mistress Race Troll -an endless waste.

        >James FrUZetta (>) to Daniel McClUZkey(>>)

>> Most male trolls just don't have enough relatives (even
>> enlo) to kill off five a year. Even one a year strikes me as
too many.

                Most male trolls aren't Karrg's Sons, so this isn't a problem. In fact, less than 1% are at this status. Since almost all the trolls in the clan are the Karrg's Son's relatives, all their trollkin are potential prey for him. Almost all of the relatives he devours are infant trollkin. Of course, when there is a death in the family, he also devours that corpse in keeping with normal troll burial rituals, and this can count towards the Karrg's Son ritual.

                The actual purpose of the Karrg's Son relative-eating rule is to ensure that the Son does not leave the tribe. Male trolls tend to be rovers, and it's not unusual for a male to take up living on his own, sans clan, or to join a new tribe. A Karrg's Son is important enough to be a serious loss to a clan, so Kyger Litor's law keeps him available. In true trollish fashion, this is done by a rule relating to eating.

	Dave Dunham
	I recommend a different name; it's too confusing to have Druluz
and Durulz.
	(Unfortunately, the linguistic change that leaps into mind is
durulz ->
	trolls...)
		Hey, dark trolls have ruled the roost long enough. How
about "duck trolls"?

        Sandy