Re: Kana Poor

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 04:21:26 -0400

Stephen has probs with poor Kana Poor:

> One part I do not agree with is placing him as a disciple of =

> Irrippi Ontor... I propose that Kana Poor is someone potentially
> more powerful than Irrippi, certainly, and possibly even Yanafal.

Do disciples always remain weaker and less powerful than their teachers? That's a very degenerative view of history and academia...

My suggestion is that Kana Poor was a Dara Happan priestly type from Yuthuppa, who studied with the foreign magus Irrippi Ontor *before* Yanafal's father was offed by the Shah (i.e. pre-1220 ST). Later on, when=

the Lunars liberated Dara Happa (1235 ST), Kana Poor rejoined his former master. While Irrippi Ontor had been teaching the Red Goddess and learnin= g
all that could be learned about her Lunar Mysteries, Kana Poor had continued to study the ancient Buserian (etc.) lore of Yuthuppa, informed=

by an understanding of the methods his quondam mentor was separately and simultaneously employing in Torang.

I am not proposing that Kana Poor was, at all times, merely a disciple of=

Irrippi Ontor; this would be to freeze time at an early stage in his career. I'm saying that KP *began* as a student of IO. It's obvious to an= y
reader that he wielded the Lunar powers of Light far more efficaciously that IO or YT at the Battle of Four Arrows of Light.

> I would suggest that his role was to stop time or something similar...

My hatred of time-travelling or temporal anomaly heroquests remains unabated, and causes me to ignore this frivolity.

> Who is he, if he is not one of the Seven Mothers?

Do you ask this question about every figure in Lunar History, Stephen?

> Kana Poor was probably someone else who supported the goddess' birth,
> but was not part of the central ceremony.

Why need he have been there at the start? Saint Paul never met Christ in the flesh, after all...

::::
Nick
::::