Still quacking

From: Sérgio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 11:49:17 +0100

Simon Phipp:
>> Ducks don't even exist. They're illusions created by Delecti.
> Now, now Sergio, don't be silly. Just because come people don't take
Ducks
> seriously, it doen't mean that you shouldn't.
Basically I was joking, but that joke refflects something that IMO is reasonable:
- - True dragons dream dragons;
- - the EWF made experiments with living creatures;
- - the EWF was inspired by dragons;

my logical conclusion is that it would be likely that the EWF also did experiments with illusions, and that some of those illusions out-lived the empire (like its living creations). Does anybody know something about this that I missed?

I must also say that if we look at ducks as mere NPCs the idea that they were a creation of a mage is very interesting BUT not in a comical way: the first thing I remembered when the postings to GD depicted ducks as human made creatures with facked memories was the movie Blade Runner. Here you have drama (of course, the figure of a duck is not terrifically dramatic... It would suit beastmen better).

David Dunham:
> I still think there are two positions: Ducks were originally birds, or
> ducks were originally humans.

I opted for the first opinion. IMO its more interesting than going the other way aroud. One of the reasons is that there are already plenty of peoples and creatures of human origin in Glorantha.

>> Druluz
> I recommend a different name; it's too confusing to have Druluz and
Durulz.
> (Unfortunately, the linguistic change that leaps into mind is durulz ->
> trolls...)

It is intentional: IMG (influenced by the discussions in GD) the original name of this family of ducks was Drulz but the connection with trolls through Zong made them change the name to Druluz. The confusion between Durulz and Druluz is also intentional: ducks are well aware of the difference between their two families; humans aren't and tend to think that they are all the same and think that Durulz and Druluz are two different and confusing spellings of the same name. Anyway, I'll see if I can come out with something better.

Sergio Mascarenhas
(keeping quacking)