Ducks and stuff

From: Simon Phipp <simonphipp_at_netpass.ru>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 18:14:19 +0400

Sergio:

> The problem is that being a foreigner that knows
> nothing about Uncle Scrooge comics or Carl Barks I can't understand that
> reference.

You're not the only one - being non-American means only a passing knowledge of the Donald Duck family of comics with Uncle Scrooge, Ducksburg and the whole lot. Fortunately, I saw a comic 20 years ago and never looked back!

I agree with the points you made about the cultural references in Glorantha. The world of Glorantha should be able to stand on its own without having to refer back to the original reasons why things are there. So, it doesn't matter why Ducks were originally included, they are there now and have to be understood as a part of Glorantha, not as part of Disney's or Warner Bros' Empires. The situation in Sartar has to be understood as a Gloranthan conflict, not as a Roman/British one. It's all very well using RW analogues, but essentially we have to understand Glorantha in Gloranthan terms.

Joerg:
> IMO undead float, from all those gases which bloat them as soon as they
get
> wet. Zombies should rot away, especially Delecti's non-standard RQ3 ones.
> Slowly, but steadily. Everything else should be mummyfied by some means.

Whilst having bloated zombies floundering around on the surface has its appeal, I feel that they have enough holes in that they cannot float. Also, the Create Zombie spell prevents rotting/decomposing and preserves the zombie from "ageing".

> Could Delecti's undead be actually bog-corpses, died reddish brown from
peat
> juices?

Could be, doesn't matter how they are preserved as long as they are dead and can walk around. "Bog people" sounds good to me. Personally, I think that Delecti takes people prisoner from all the anti-chaos raids and makes them into extra members of his Legion. Also, he has enough followers tom make Vampires/mummies as Captains.
Has anyone tried using the Dragonewts as emissaries to Delecti in Dragon Pass? They are perfect as they come back again. (We play that the souls are not re-animated, only the bodies). Another gross perversion of the rules by people in our gaming circle.

Well, have to go now - someone is leaving and they've opened up the Office Bar (one of the advantages of working for the sole importers of Guinness and Remy-Cointreau products into Russia - pity I don't drink!)

Simon

Simon Phipp <simonphipp_at_netpass.ru>

"'Every breath you take, every step you take, every move you make,  I'll be watching you' - That's Police Talk" - Sledge Hammer!