Another Duck Perspective...

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 06:57:20 -0400 (EDT)

      Two views of ducks....

  1. Ducks are comical creatures that exist as Comic Relief. The model to follow is Disney's Donald Duck; blustery and hard to understand. Silly stuff should happen to them and because of them.
  2. Ducks should be taken seriously and have more of a real culture to them, and are legitimate player characters.

      I'm not terribly fond of the first view; heck, as I was reminded when watching part of the "Darkwing Duck" cartoon that most Disney Ducks speak prefectly normally. But I do think that ducks living among humans and adopting human culture _will_ tend to be objects of ridicule, placed on the defensive and probably reacting a bit like Donald. It'll be a rare and exceptional duck who really is respected by humans or anybody else.

     I'm inspired by Sergio's suggestion of Eurmal the Duck Friend, however. I'd suggest that among the Durulz tricksters have a higher place in society than among their Orlanthi neighbors; they aren't outcasts as such. The function is a bit like what Mark Sabulaskas suggested a few Digests back with his Trickster "accidentally" dispatching a Riddler when no one else in the tribe could; protecting the ducks from hostile outsiders.

      Here the model is Daffy Duck, as portrayed in older Warner cartoons. Our duck trickster harasses and insults and even attacks (in a bizarre fashion) those who would harm the durulz. I'd propose that the duck trickster is in a subcult of Eurmal; the duck trickster would never harm another duck
(except maybe an outcast) but it's open season on anybody who might mess with
the tribe.

       Often the only ducks an outsider might see is a Trickster, and from this they determine that all ducks are a joke. But they may well find out otherwise; I don't think that ducks follow Humakt as a suicide cult.

(Confession: While I did read the Gold Key Duck comics as a kid, I always
found Daffy to be a whole lot funnier than Donald.)

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...