Menses

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 07:05:35 -0400 (EDT)

 Jane Williams:

<<- - any biologists/doctors out there want to comment?>>

     I'm not strictly speaking either of the above, but my work at the lab means I have to deal with this sort of thing more than most other people who aren't female (which, let's face it, makes you more of an expert than me...)

 <<Steve Martin:
> Given that the planet Entekos is associated with women in at least two
> societies, and has a period of 31 days (close to earth's moon), it
> might make a better candidate.

 Jane: Sounds good to me. Why change things from RW norm unless we have to?  Now, what do the Orlanthi know about the planet Entekos? What do they call it?>>

      They call it Moskalf. I have absolutely no idea what this name refers to. BTW, it takes 62 days to make a *complete* circuit of the sky/underworld (unless this has been Gregged since ES), not 31.

      Personally, I prefer the identification of Tolat with menses; it's blood red, it has a period of 28 days, it's the most visible object in the sky after the sun and moon, it's said to be propitious for making babies, and it actually shows a disc, not just a point of light (so you could reasonably claim it's a moon). Admittedly, it's difficult to explain why the Dara Happans call it Shargash, but I think Tolat's visibility, colour and period are just such an obvious link that a number of cultures are bound to have made the connection.

 Jane, responding to Paul H:<< I'm no expert on anthropology, but as I understand
 it the whole of "human" society, from the time we came out of the trees and maybe even before, was based around the fact that human females do not go into season but are perpetually "available".>>

     I'd agree with this. While it is true to a lesser extent in some of the great apes, only humans among the mammals truly lack oestrus (going into season) as far as I can recall. Strictly speaking, if women were only fertile at a particular time of year, it necesserily mean they weren't sexually receptive at other times. But I still don't believe it.

<< A thought, BTW: this all *would* apply to female Telmori, wouldn't it?>>

     That I *can* believe. Same might even be true of some of the other Hsunchen. But Hsunchen do have a very low population growth, so this could be made to fit.

 << Just think of the consequences! You and your six siblings all have birthdays in the same season. If there's only one menses per season, you're probably all within the same week, too! I'd guess that Gloranthans probably see the day/week/season you were born in as being like your astrological sign but more important: and your entire family is stuck with the same star-sign?>>

     Presumably if this theory were true (and I repeat that I don't like it) day/week/season wouldn't be the basis for anything astrologically significant. You might have to use something else; time of day, the way the wind was blowing, something like that. Which gives me the amusing vision of the midwife sending the expectant father outside and saying 'make yourself useful by checking which direction the wind's coming from, would you?'

     Actually, I don't expect the Orlanthi to be too keen on astrology, except maybe the tribes of Aggar, Holay, etc. who have been more influenced by the Dara Happans. I think they'd me more keen on some form of sortilege - chucking runestones on the ground, frex. Preferably outdoors, using fairly light runestones, so they can get blown about a bit by the wind before landing. Though obviously not so light they get blown away!

<< > Barring the radical approach stated above, I'd support the concept of one >menses each Gloranthan season (excepting Sacred Time). Why? Two per season seems to fit RW biology much better. I'm not sure  what the effect would be of changing it, but I'm sure there would be one.>>

    Being fertile for only 3 days or so out of 56 (assuming you're perfectly healthy and well-nourished) is going to have a detrimental effect on population growth, I'd have thought. The high infant mortality rate in pre-modern societies would make this problem even more apparent. However, I can't think of any more direct biological effects; I suppose in the RW it might lead to an increased likelihood in younger women of the various conditions associated with the menopause (osteoporosis, etc.) but I see no reason this kind of detailed biology would hold in Glorantha.

 <<> But again, I don't see the rational for the cycle being a consistent number of days.
 Because if it isn't, you're very ill.>>

    Damn right. I get cases of that all the time.

 <<> unless menses begins each season.
 You really think all Gloranthan women have their menses synchronised? They all have PMT at the same time? No way!>>

    Seconded!

<<Women living in a very close community do find themselves synchronising,  I'm told.>>

    Nuns are the classic example.

 << > So following the RW model. . . one per season.  Don't you mean one per week? Or rather, one per moon-cycle, choosing an appropriate moon? Or one every 28-30 days, because that's the way the human body works?>>

     I suppose if one decides Artia is a moon, that has a period of two seasons, and I suppose it is red, and the names sounds as if it might be feminine. But why bother when you have a much more visible object in the sky that does fit a 28 day cycle?

Forward the glorious Red Army!

    Trotsky

 Jane Williams                     jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk
 http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/index.shtml   >>