What is Darkness?

From: Michael O'Brien <mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 14:00:04 +1000

G'day all,

What is Darkness?

An invitation from Steve:
>I am seeking people to write short (50-100) word narratives of
>various Gloranthans answering the question "What is Darkness?".
>These will be put together in the same manner as the "What is
>Chaos?" bits were in the first issue of Drastic.
>
>Points of view could include:
>
>A Yelmie
>A Mistress Race Troll
>A Trollkin
>A Sartarite
>A Duck
>A Hrestoli or other Malkioni
>A Chaos Philisopher (or a Chaotic Philisopher)
>An Illuminate
>
>Other possibilities are also sought.

Howzabout one from the Sun Domer POV? Here's one from me (plus see the "From the Notes from Nochet files" entry below!):

>From the nightly sermon to his troops by Coriander Goldbeard, Light Servant (acolyte) of Yelmalio, File Leader of "The Bird Men" IXth Militia, Eiskolli, currently on patrol on the East Rim:

"Beware of the Darkness, my boys, for it is in Darkness that evil lurks. When a man looks upon a another's wife, or covets his neighbour's ass, we say " a darkness has entered his heart". For under cover of Darkness, in the absence of Father Yelm's paternal gaze, base temptation and lurid thoughts can turn to foul deeds and unnatural passions. Huddle close boys, but know, just as our god Yelmalio remained a blazing ember for us, even in the Dead of Darkness, so too will my Lantern burn through the night, lest any of us fall tempted to lustful carnality, or worse, bodily self-pollution! Now, I know these words will help you rest easy; we shall all rise early on the morrow to greet the Dawn!"

And, on the topic, here's two of the lost hymns of Solinthor (see Sun County, p.126):

No.CDXCIX Yelm by Night, and Man
"When thou settest in the western horizon of the sky, The earth is in darkness like death.
Men, they sleep in their chambers:
their heads wrapped up,
their nostrils stopped.
Thou art gone, and it is darkness;
Wherein all the beasts creep forth."

No.D (untitled)
"Darkness broods,
The world is in silence,
Yelm, he that man resteth, resteth in his horizon. The young lions roar after their prey,
And seek food from the gods."

Cheers

MOB

>From the Notes from Nochet files:

[XXIX. 21-001] "To quote an old God Learner proverb, it's better to steal the Candle of Eternal Light than to curse the darkness." Capybarus the Thinker, Nochet.