Entekos & Menstruation

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 01:41:32 EDT

To All:

The planet known as Entekos to the Dara Happans is called Moskalf by the Orlanthi, or so we presume from Elder Secrets. And T Trotsky is correct in pointing out that its complete period is 62 days. However, it takes 31 days to cross the sky, and is out of the sky for another 31.

Joerg Baumgartner suggested to me that this name could be a contraction of "Mother's Calf", and so I decided IMG to make the name of this planet Praxian in origin, picked up by the Theyalans by their close proximity to the Praxians.

In Prax, it is the First Protectress. She was the wife of Orani, and still searches for her lost husband.

Trotsky also suggests that Tolat/Shargash would make a better planet to control menstruation. Were it not spoken of in every mention (published and unpublished) as a male deity (though often called a Moon, I admit), this would indeed be the perfect suggestion. Remember -- Tolat is a god, not a goddess. And in Prax, its history seems to me to fit Waha's very well.

Of course, Artia is also spoken of as a moon in older writings. It is red. I have come to believe that it was known to the Orlanthi of the First Age as the remnant of Orlanth's original Moon Goddess foe. So, with a period of 16 weeks (1/2 in the sky, 1/2 not in the sky), it could rule menstruation, if the menstrual cycle were the 8 weeks suggested recently on the Digest.

Still, I dislike having only 5 menstrual cycles of 8 weeks each per year - -- as Jane says, that is messing with biology quite a bit.

Jane Williams also says:
>(Women living in a very close community do find themselves
synchronising,
>I'm told. And the cycle can certainly be shifted with drugs).

My wife once told me that when she was living with three other women, all of their menstrual cycles were different at first, but synchronized within a few months, so this does seem to have some basis in fact. Anyone got a scientific (physical or psychological) answer as to why?

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com