non-Gloranthan HeroQuests

From: Tal Meta <talmeta_at_cybercomm.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 10:19:36 -0400

Not to drag the subject back up, by my group and I attempted a Heroquest last night (I'm not running my campaign on Glorantha, although I have borrowed quite a number of Gloranthan elements; I have a Lunar Empire, Praxian-style nomads, a malkioni "West", a Kralorean-esque continent, etc.)

I hadn't exactly intended on doing one as early in the campaign as I did, but the direction the campaign had turned in led to a very obvious "mythic signifigance" kind of track.

Basically, one of the party members was an elven priest of Corellon Larethian ((tm) I'm sure). For those unfamiliar with gods from That Other Game, Corellon's myths involve at least one major battle with an orcish god with monocular vision.

The party was searching out a sorcerer (see my post on herd-men as familiars, previous) thought to be involved in the raising of Cyaegha (a cthulhu-mythos old one) from it's resting place deep in an island crevasse. Cyaegha, being basically one-eyed, to me at least made an interesting parallell with the established myth of Corellon vs. a one-eyed god.

The "mechanics" of the heroquest were probably lacking a bit, as I was borrowing loosely from Pendragon Pass for Virtues etc., and was only permitting successful strikes if the priest in question made successful checks against his Valorous trait. But overall, it had what I felt were the elements of a heroquest; mythological symbology (however strained or contrived <g>) a clear goal, and a clear reward. (in this case, it was a set of armour that had no clear AP until the quest was completed; his opponent had to achieve a success with HIS valorous trait to penetrate it on the HP.)

But not bad for a first effort, I suppose.