Cultural stereotypes, Telmori, menses

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 16:07:23 +0000

> Daniel:
> > Just to throw something into all this ancient feely theme: How about
> > Esrolia=Minoan Crete
> Nils Weinander: Seconded.

Make that thirded. Then add Celtic overtones to stop it being a total clone.

> As for alternative parallells, I have always thought
> of the praxians beings somewhat like the nomad peoples
> of central Asia (kazak, kirghiz, turkmen etc) rather
> than native americans.

Me too. Mainly of course because they're more familiar, but also because they *did* invade civilised parts, and very effectively, too. Native Americans had the disadvantage of having an ocean in the way.

Joerg said:
> Jane Williams opined wrt scarce menstrual cycles (once per year, IIRC):
> >A thought, BTW: this all *would* apply to female Telmori, wouldn't it?

> Don't even think of it.
> The Telmori are just one of many Hsunchen peoples of Glorantha, and apart
> from the millions of other Hsunchen, there is probably tenfold that number
> of Hsunchen-descended people around. Look at Ralios...
> Do we expect that in East Ralios, whose Orlanthi are Bemuri-descended,
> fertility period is limited to that of cows? ... etc!

According to the big Telmori write-up, Telmori see no difference between the "human" and wolf members of their pack. (Well, presumably they can see differences in furriness, but...). So it seems to me that either the human-shaped Telmori are subject to the fertility cycles of wolves, or the wolf-shaped Telmori are subject to the fertility cycles of humans. I don't know enough about other hsunchen peoples to comment in detail, but the Basmoli for instance seem to be somewhat lacking in lion-shaped clan members.

Pam, responding to Trotsky:
> > Admittedly, it's difficult to explain why the Dara Happans call it
> Shargash,
> *Gasp - sputter-choke* Get thee to an Enclosure! Buy the fanzine and read
> all about Shargash in stomach churning detail!
I'll re-read, but that seemed to tell us all about how Shargash is regarded by men. (And great fun it was, too!) Like every other solar writeup, 53% of the population get mentioned as an afterthought.

To help you make a connection, though, I'd point out that body temperature rises slightly during menses: the effects of Fire?

Peter Metcalfe said:
> I wish to stand on a soap-box and rage against the
> instinctive reaction between a solar culture and theologically
> repressive prudishness. We already *have* Dara Happa and
> Sun County for crying out loud. Why should we seek to make
> each and every solar culture bigotted anal-retentives?

Hear hear! Let's have at least one solar culture, somewhere, that's actually interesting other than as contrast to sane neighbours! Maybe even playable without being forced into running a male PC.

But...
> IMO they believe that exceptional women can achieve
> high cultic rank (about 1 women for every four males
> is considered optimum).

So why do you want them to be bigotted anal-retentives in this regard, then?

Jane Williams                     jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/index.shtml