Tolat

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 13:59:21 -0400 (EDT)

Joerg:
<< A side remark: Our RW moon offers itself as a measure of the female cycle
 because it is visible all the time (well, half of the day/night 24 hours). Planets which disappear for half the time aren't that useful,>>

     I don't see why. It's not as if women are going to need to check the sky to know what time of their cycle it is. And if they did it wouldn't necesserily work, because it isn't the same length for every woman. I just think that it would be a bit difficult to fail to notice that this highly visible blood-red planet (the only planet you can see in daylight) takes 28 days to go around Glorantha.

<< and planets traveling the southpath won't help a lot with their current
position before the sky, either.>>

     I'll confess to not having a clue what this means, so it could be a problem to my theory. Something from GRoY, perhaps?

<< The Red Moon will remain (or have become, in 1247) one of the markers for
a four-week cycle. >>

     Certainly if the Godtime Moon had a cycle of 28 days, this would be a logical connection to make. And I'd agree that it would a marker in the present day, for whatever that's worth. But I was trying to look for a mythical link (which I believe was how we got onto this topic), so I was looking for something a bit older than 400 years or so. AFAIK, Tolat has been doing what it does since the Godtime (although not necesserily the whole of the Godtime), which makes it a better candidate IMHO.

Me:> Admittedly, it's difficult to explain why the Dara Happans call it Shargash, >>

Pam:
<<*Gasp - sputter-choke* Get thee to an Enclosure! Buy the fanzine and read all about Shargash in stomach churning detail!>>

     I'm a bit strapped for cash at the minute, having just had a new bathroom put in. But rest assured, Enclosure is near the top of my shopping list. I know almost nothing about Shargash; my comment was based on the fact that I was under the impression he was a fairly masculine deity.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

    Trotsky