Re: Cycles

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 15:42:13 -0400 (EDT)

Paul Harmaty:

<< In the RW menses are effected by the moon. A woman on earth doesn't have
one period a month she has one every 28 days (approx.) more or less because of the RW moon.>>

    The tiny problem with this, of course, is that it is utterly false.

<<We don't know and can never know whether women six thousand years ago all
had their periods within a week of a full moon.>>

    There's no reason to suppose they did, and no plausible way they could have done, so under any reasonable definition of the word 'know' I'd say we know they did not. What makes you think otherwise?

 << Trying to tie Gloranthan female cycles to the RW model is unimaginative and sterile. It ain't the way woman would work on Glorantha! There's no "earthly" reason for it. >>

     Seems to be every reason for it to me. Change for the sake of it seems unnessecary, IMO. If you think it works in your game, fine, I don't see a huge problem with it, but I can't see what's wrong with leaving things as they are.

<< I doubt it would make human's unrecognizable for player characters.>>

     I doubt that too.

<<I think the change is negligible yet important for Glorantha lore.>>

     *If* one accepts the theory, yes. I just can't see any convincing reason to do so.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky