Re: Shadow Cat Familiars

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 17:48:55 -0400

James worries:

> Being a cat lover I got to thinking about those Orlanthi shadow
> cats. When you place an allied spirit into an animal what happens
> to that animal's spirit? Is it completely replaced? Is it still
> there but suppressed by the new spirit?

In RQ3, the "allied spirit" is the Awakened spirit of the Shadow Cat. Your god miraculously awakens the intellect of the animal, such that it now has a non-fixed INT of 3D6 (or its own previous INT, whichever is the greater). POW remains unchanged. It's still your cat's spirit, only more so. See "Gods of Glorantha" for the straight dope on this. No extra spirit is involved.

The concept of "placing spirits into animals" is very RQ2ish. If you still use those rules, you'll have to square it with your conscience when your pet cat gets possessed by a Thing From Beyond.

::::
Nick
::::

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #110