Menses in the sky

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 97 00:22 MET DST

><< A side remark: Our RW moon offers itself as a measure of the female cycle
> because it is visible all the time (well, half of the day/night 24 hours).
>Planets which disappear for half the time aren't that useful,>>

>I don't see why. It's not as if women are going to need to check the sky
>to know what time of their cycle it is.

There is one period which gives itself away, but unless I fumbled my biology skill, the time of best fertility isn't different in feel from the period before.

>And if they did it wouldn't
>necesserily work, because it isn't the same length for every woman. I just
>think that it would be a bit difficult to fail to notice that this highly
>visible blood-red planet (the only planet you can see in daylight) takes 28
>days to go around Glorantha.

Because it doesn't, really. Tolat moves "along the Southpath", i.e. in a highly irregular pattern across the southern sky, rising somewhere southeast and going somewhere southwest two weeks later, with no predictable course in the meantime. While it is away, it is easy to lose count of days, while it's visible, its position doesn't really tell how long it will remain visible.