Re: Sorcerous Familiars?

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Tue Aug 12 04:07:38 1997

Tal Meta:
<< Has anyone attempted using a herd-man as a familiar? My group recently encountered such a beast while attempting to apprehend a sorcerer (in the Malkioni sense of the word) and were misled into believing for quite awhile that the herd-man familiar was in fact the sorcerer. >>

> Eh? I thought that familiars could only be incomplete creatures
> or inanimate objects, and a herd-man is neither. Mind you, I
> always thought it was a bit of a pity you couldn't have a black
> cat as a familiar or something like that. Have I misread the rules
> or has Tal? Or is there some way of making a familiar I've
> forgotten about?

But doesn't the lack of Free INT (or rather, the presence of "fixed INT") qualify a being as incomplete? According to ye old RQ Creatures book, this case exists as much for black cats as it would for herd-men (who, if they assumed the same position that say, antelopes did for the morocanth, are fixed INT beings)? That whole Waha'n Fix/Release INT spell pair makes for an interesting idea too, now that I think of it...