Duck Mini Pack - Natural History 2

From: Sérgio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 11:34:22 +0100

DUCKS' ANATOMY, AND WHAT THEY EAT AND DRINK The departing point, already present on my account on the reproduction and life cycle of durulz, is that ducks are basically birds. They are big, intelligent birds with arms instead of wings. They are not a cross between duck and man.
  1. Physical features 1.1 Ducks are just like what we would expect: a big duck with a somewhat big head and arms instead of wings. They have feathers of different patterns and colors. Usually males have brighter and more varied colors than female. That is the only perceptible difference between sexes since they are of the same size and weight. 1.2 The dissemination of ducks in different regions of Genertela resulted in some regional differences:
    - - Ducks that went to Prax loose the color of their feathers after some
    years to an uniform shade of brown gray. They also tend to become less fat. Second generation ducks in Prax are about 10% higher and are more nimble than their parents. They also resist better the heat and can walk for longer periods in the desert. They have longer beaks.
    - - Ducks that live in the Mirror Sea and adapted to sea activities tend to
    have larger and shorter beaks, shorter arms and to be of heavier build.
  2. Food and drinks 2.1 What do ducks eat Ducks are omnivorous and can eat almost everything. Their main diet is composed of:
    - - raw and dried fish and small mammals, eggs and insects;
    • - wild grains, herbs and plants. They dry meat and do some types of dried cookies made of an assemblage of vegetables with meat or fish. They use herbs for flowering. The technique for drying food is either by natural sun drying or by magically drying with some slow hot spirit spells. They don't use fire for this purpose. The advantage of dried food is that it can be kept for a long time.

2.2 How do ducks digest the food
Since ducks are birds, their digestion is bird like. They have a crop where they can store food for latter usage. In fact, when ducks are on a voyage they will keep in their crop some reserves (food for one day). In that way if they loose their packed reserves, they have a last resource.

2.3 Teeth
"What an ineffective way of processing food! Na, we ducks are clean people, we don't need such a crude and bestial feature to process our food." (Quackjhon dixit and someone told me it)

2.4 Ducks like to drink. They drink water of course, but they also like other types of drinks. The difference to human drinks is that duck's drinks are more simple and less processed.
They will take some fruits, simply press them and let the resulting puree ferment. That's how they make and drink 'wine'. Ducks love beer but when they produce beer they will not filter it to extract the solid parts.
Needless to say, most humans think that duck's drinks can't be drunk ("just give the dam thing to porks.").

Sergio Mascarenhas