Familiar Questions

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 07:20:07 -0400

Trotsky wonders:

> I thought that familiars could only be incomplete creatures or inanimat=
> objects, and a herd-man is neither. Mind you, I always thought it was a=

> bit of a pity you couldn't have a black cat as a familiar or something
> like that. Have I misread the rules or has Tal?

You have. A fixed-INT creature (like any kind of cat [*], or a herd-man) makes a fine familiar. See the start of the Monsters Book: "Only fully sentient physical beings are defined as 'complete'. Animals are incomplete  because they lack free will, possessing instead fixed INT."

To make an animal complete, give it a point of Familiar INT. Again, see the Monsters Book intro for the effects.

RQ3 Dragons have Fixed INT 10, but it's a rabbit stew recipe.

::::
Nick
::::

[*] Calvin's claws tell me to note that ginger-and-white long-haired half= - -
Persian cats have higher INT than other breeds of cat, and free will too.=