Allied Spirits

From: Paul.Harmaty_at_aig.com
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 12:03:08 -0400

Nick Brooke reminds us that RQ3 is animal friendly . . .

"In RQ3 the allied spirit is the awakened spirit of the Shadow Cat."

I loved this change in the RQ3 rules.
I've always played that the allied spirit had a mind of "its" own. They can elect to do things without the consent of their "owner" provided it was consistent with either the best interest of the animal or its god. As NPCs that the character had a friendly relationship with allied spirits have added to the role-playing experience.

I've been told that most GMs treat the allied spirit as non-distinct extensions of the human owner. It's clear that I spin in my own orbit, but IMO "mindless" allied spirits is a lost opportunity for MGF. Does any other GM give allied spirits a personality?

Paul Harmaty