Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #111

From: Simon D. Hibbs <s.hibbs_at_forestry.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 17:08:35 +0100 (BST)

TTrotsky_at_aol.com says :

> Eh? I thought that familiars could only be incomplete creatures or
>inanimate objects, and a herd-man is neither. Mind you, I always thought
>it was a bit of a pity you couldn't have a black cat as a familiar or
>something like that. Have I misread the rules or has Tal? Or is there
>some way of making a familiar I've forgotten about?

Creatures with fixed INT are incomplete creatures. Thus black cats and herd men both qualify as potential familiars. Having said that, I'm sure most westerners would consider herd men to be an abomination, herd-man familiars doubly so.

Robert McArthur :

>Since many Gods can do this trick, it seem strange that Waha is the only
>one who offers it as a spell (Fix/Release Int)... Of course, from a
>player's perspective, I'm damn glad: it would be nasty if it were a
>Common spell!

Creating (or being granted) an allied spirit in the form of a totem animal is a very different trick to simply 'unfixing' the INT of a herd beast. The two things are only remotely similar in character.

I had a difficult problem over the weekend. Someone wanted to bring an existing character into one of my games. The character had an allied spirit that had orriginaly been a ghost. In a previous game the character (a member of a bizzare thief rune cult) had cast a 'Create Allied Spirit' spell on the ghost, which incidentaly was the ghost of a sorcerer. Now, in RQ2 the game mechanics for gaining an allied spirit were that a cult spirit would be summoned and the character would have to defeat it in spirit combat to ally it. Thus allowing a player to ally any old spirit by casting a spell and beating it up may have seemed to be a logical extension of the rules, but betrays a fundamental missunderstanding of the nature of allied spirits (IMHO).

Comments?

Erik Sieurin :

>However, his newer minions need to feed on the life-force of sentient
>beings. The closest sentient beings are the ducks. The ducks have turned
>to intensive Humakt worship to reduce the number of vampire and ghoul
>victims, and their Lismelder neighbours have followed suit. As mentioned
>before, the Vivamorti really doesn't want duck minions (Count Duckula?
>Naaah.) so they just suckem dry, they do not animate them.

You've got to be kidding me! Duckula's natural home has to be Glorantha. Anyway, if Delecti and his zombies don't bother the ducks, why are they so keen on the Humakt cult? It does not make any sense. Thusm given that the ducks are at war with delecti, what better minions to send against them but their own zombified or subverted undead kin?

Simon Hibbs