Allied Spirits

From: Michael O'Brien <michael.obrien_at_actf.com.au>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 09:56:57 +1000

G'day all,

Allied Spirits

Paul Harmarty writes, on allied spirits with a mind of their own:

>I've always played that the allied spirit had a mind of "its" own.
>They can elect to do things without the consent of their "owner"
>provided it was consistent with either the best interest of the
>animal or its god. As NPCs that the character had a friendly
>relationship with allied spirits have added to the role-playing
>experience.
>
>I've been told that most GMs treat the allied spirit as
>non-distinct extensions of the human owner. It's clear that I
>spin in my own orbit, but IMO "mindless" allied spirits is a lost
>opportunity for MGF. Does any other GM give allied spirits a
>personality?

You betcha! In my tournament "Mad Prax Beyond Sun Dome" one of the PCs is Yelmalio Light Lady and another is her cantankerous, chauvanistic allied spirit, Bob the vrok Hawk. And I once played in a highly entertaining tournament by Hugh McVicker where *all* the PCs are allied spirits, the awakened animals of Praxian nomads. I recall there was a Storm Bull ostrich, a high llama named Dalai (natch) and a rhino, which all the power gamers wanted to play until they discovered that it was a *Chalana Arroy* rhino! Lots of fun, and plenty of animal impressions!

Cheers

MOB

>From the Notes from Nochet files:

[XXIX.12/5.3109./spiritally] ...and the grey sages who serve the Moon Empire, it is rumoured these bureaucrats awaken red-tapeworms as their familiars.