Calendars

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 22:27:11 EDT

Paul Harmaty on Calendars

>RW science has no place in Glorantha.
>The Gloranthan world isn't even a sphere!
>Why should RW biology hold true?

I believe this was addressed by the person (Jane Williams?) who asked why not give all humans four arms instead.

A more specific answer is that if you change humans too much, they cease to be humans. And, while the occasional non-human is fun, most people prefer to play and read about humans. What percentage of fiction books and movies have non-humans as the predominant characters? And how popular are/were such pieces?

>As far as I know the Mostali, Aldyami, Uz, Dragonewts, etc. don't use
this >calendar. Do they?

Nor do the fully human Kralorelans, Doraddi, Pelorians (originally, they used a ten-day week. Also, their "days" used to be four days long, per Genertela Book). I am sure the original Balazarings didn't, though have no proof of this.

Trolls certainly don't menstruate in the same cycle as humans, and yet as far as I can tell they do use the Theyalan calendar.

Lack of information is generally not considered to be evidence.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com