Menses and Points.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 18:20:34 +0100 (BST)

Stephen Martin enters his familiar "broadside" mode, at my comment:
> >Various people suggest that Gloranthan women ought to be "tide-locked"
> >to assorted celestological bodies and/or calendar features, and beat
> >each other over the head as to which it should be.

> I think Alex is missing the point, certainly he is missing my point.

I hardly think so. If you're not suggesting the above, why do you consider yourself to be among the "various people" referred to? You can hardly dispute that some people are indeed arguing for such an approach, notably the exactly-one-period-per-season camp.

My "approach" is, in a nutshell, to avoid cod-fantasyesque ideas like having every female on Glorantha ovulate in perfect synchronisation, or there being one pan-lozenge phenomenon responsible for same. If you're not advocating either of these, what are you exactly are you taking exception to with it?

> [sentence-fragment antecedants snipped] The,
> what celestial body (or other natural feature) are most Gloranthans
> _likely_ to _associate_ with menses.

At the risk of yah-boo-you-too-ism, the rest of your comments seem to entirely miss the point of _my_ posting. I specifically and at length said that I _did_ think Gloranthan women had a "monthly" menstrual cycle, and that it _would_ be associated with one or other features of heavens and/or the calendar by different peoples. In fact, I _explicitly_ suggested associations with: Entekos; the Tolat planet; and (either half of) the Theyalan season -- pretty much covering all the candidates mooted elsewhere, with the dubious exception of Artia. What "point" were you making that this "misses"?

I appreciate you're a Very Busy Man, but if you can take them time to reply in criticism of part of my post, it'd be nice to see evidence of having read the rest of it.

Alex.