Astrology

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 15:44:23 -0400 (EDT)

I said:
<< > Actually, I don't expect the Orlanthi to be too keen on astrology,
> except maybe the tribes of Aggar, Holay, etc. who have been more
influenced
> by the Dara Happans.>>

David D replied:
<<In my Glorantha, the East Ralians are very much into astrology. How else can you determine a baby's geases, if you can't read the signs of his birth?>>

    I have nothing against this idea, but I should point out that my suggestion was that Orlanthi would indeed 'read the signs' at birth, they just wouldn't necesserily use astrology to do so. There's so many other fun means of prediction out there. Still, I haven't thought much about the East Ralians, so why not?

 <<I don't think it's popular among the other Orlanthi (though they undoubtedly watch for unusual portents, like suddenly moving stars or comets>>

    Undoubtedly. But I think many Orlanthi would prefer something much more active and 'random' as their main means of prediction. That's why I like sortilege. This leads me to think about other cultures... this is completely off the top of my head, and consequently may well be cobblers, but anyway:

     I think Praxians read omens into almost anything, with the actions of wild animals being particular favourites.

     Dara Happans obviously do use astrology, and lots of it. I don't have GRoY, but I seem to recall somebody saying it even mentioned a DH god of astrology.

     Trolls, and other darkness oriented groups (Gorgorma cultists say) would be keen on the old 'rip its guts out, throw 'em on the floor and see what sort of a mess it makes' technique. In the case of trolls, beetles would be a good subject to use, although if you want a really *good* prediction use a trollkin or a captured human! Good magic *and* a tasty snack when you've finished. Yum.

     The Orlanthi, as I have said, I think use sortilege. Not with those 'New Age' runestones that you see today, obviously, because they were invented in 1982, which is hardly very bronze age. But using something similar to the original Norse items. Gazing into an outdoor bonfire, with the flames being moved by the wind, might also be good.

     Kralori use a mixture of astrology and I-Ching style predictions.
     Purist Malkioni probably aren't allowed to do this sort of thing. Which
only proves that some of them must. Tarot cards maybe? I could see these then being imported via Carmania to the Empire. Obviously their images and meanings would be different from the RW versions.

     Elves may not feel the need to cast about for omens, being attuned enough to everything they feel they need to know through their Elfsense/ oneness with the forest.

     Mostali say it's all rubbish.

     Before anyone says anything, I'm not suggesting that the above are the only means of obtaining omens in the respective cultures, there'll be plenty of overlap, and some things that almost anyone would take as an omen. Is this sort of thing the same as Divination? I think not, although the above may provide some ideas for how such spells would actually look to an observer.

      As I say, just some random thoughts... are they rubbish? Could anybody care less? We'll see...

  Back to David:
 <<[does Glorantha have comets?]. >>

    Dunno, but I think it should do, it's a cool idea. Maybe when something is really important, Dazaytar actually gets off his arse and sends out a celestial messenger to warn us pathetic mortals to mend our ways/ watch out for the coming war/ start a war against [name your enemy]/ beware the ides of StormSeason/ etc. Trouble is, can anyone work out which??

Forward the glorious Red Army!

    Trotsky