Shargash's feminine side

From: Pam Carlson <carlsonp_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 15:37:42 -0700

Jane laments:

> I'll re-read, but that seemed to tell us all about how Shargash is
> regarded by men. (And great fun it was, too!) Like every other solar
> writeup, 53% of the population get mentioned as an afterthought.

Gee, and here I tried to carefully write it to be relatively sexless in interpretation. When I wrote "Alkothi", I meant "mean and women living in Alkoth", not "men who are warriors". I guess I should have made this more clear.

I think this is a problem with the RPG genre as a whole, not just solar cult write ups. Perhaps it wasn't clear in the Shargash info, but women can and do join the cult on many levels, though usually not the warrior aspect. (Re-read the What My Father Told Me part about men and women.) To be fair, you'll find little mention of women in the Orlanthi cult write up, either, (in the first part of Enclosure). The genre tends to be geared toward adventuring, and Glorantha tries for a realistic, societal approach.  Thus, women's cults exist, (Ernalda, Oslira), though they don't get written up because they are usually not rife with flashy action magic. Similarly, though Bartar is the most widely worshipped (and most studly) aspect of Orlanth, that aspect the storm god is the least known to most players.

Jeff's article on clan ritual magic hints at magically important roles for women in Heortling society. I will try to write some similar rituals for Alkoth in the next Enclosure. Ultimately, it will depend on whether Greg approves of them or not.

Thanks for your input!

Pam