Delecti and his Marsh

From: David Cheng <cheng_at_global2000.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 22:38:12 -0500

Erik Sieurin has an interesting theory:

I have a couple of quibbles with this.

  1. GO BACK TO THE ORIGINAL SOURCE MATERIAL Delecti was born in the game _White Bear & Red Moon_, and was later rewritten for _Dragon Pass_. In both games his Zombie armies are allergic to water: they cannot cross rivers except at a ford. (Aside: this is a big reason why they are frustratingly slow to get into action in DP, as the Marsh has three rivers flowing into/out of it, blocking Zombie movement.)

Also, the Zombies have no problem with broken terrain. Mountains are no more difficult for them to plod along through than a nice Lunar road.

While the muck of the Marsh doesn't slow down Delecti's minions, neither is it much to their advantage. I think the whole "Delecti grows a swamp around his stronghold" idea was born because of a swamp's inherent spookiness, and intimate relationship with the concept of decay. (Aha! There must be a significant number of Black Elves in most good sized marshes!)

2) I'M A TRADITIONALIST
Call me closed-minded, but I am too attached to the idea of the ducks fighting a valiant battle against the encroachment of the swamp. I just cannot accept the thought that they created it in the first place.

Erik, I applaud your creativity, but I feel obliged to poke holes in the Gloranthan logic of your idea, for the sake of my Duck friends.

*David Cheng