Bog People

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_mail.airmail.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 14:47:17 +0000

A recent article in DISCOVER magazine and a brief mention on a recent Digest got me thinking about bog corpses and Delecti's swamp. In the RW, the people of northern Europe used to sacrifice human beings and bury them in peat bogs, for obscure reasons. Many such corpses have been found today, in a remarkable state of preservation.

Given that Orlanthi culture has a marked resemblance to Northern European cultures of a couple of thousand years ago, wouldn't it be possible that some of them near the Upland Marshe practice the same thing, perhaps as a means of appeasing Delecti in some way? Perhaps the present-day Sartarites don't do it, but maybe they did in the days before Sartar. Maybe it's an earth cult thing, too. I'm sure SOMEONE in Glorantha makes sacrifices to the bogs; I just don't know why yet.

Guy

Guy Hoyle (guyhoyle_at_iname.com)
http://web2.airmail.net/ghoyle1/
Visit The Gamemaster's Bookshelf