Hsunchen and other Humans

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 97 21:12 MET DST

>David Dunham wrote :
>> Certainly hsunchen aren't animals. If they were, they wouldn't have
>> speech and culture. Why do so many people want to strip humanity from
>> the hsunchen?

Thomas Gottschall:
>Because some people make hsunchen the same way humans are.

That's exactly what Hsunchen are: Humans with a beast totem influencing their culture, their religion, and their afterlife.

>Many forget that it is not only a pet, but more. Would you mate with
>your pet or call it brother?

I know this has been said in Dorastor - Land of Doom. In the same article which states as "Common Knowledge" that "By day they are men, and behave as men. By night they are beasts, cunning and ferocious, and eager for blood."

The "fact" that men and wolves mate is introduced as "it is known that". While I find it highly probable that desperate bachelor "packs" practice this kind of intercourse for lack of other female company - and there are (not entirely insubstantiated) rumours about Voriof shepherds and sheep, too. "It is known that <Sartarite> sheep-boys bugger their ewes."

>I do not see every thing that humans do or are
>applying to hsunchen. For example why should hsunchen lie,
>or steal from each other?

Why should humans do such a thing?

They do, as we all are aware of. And Wolves do steal food from each other when they dare. So do humans. Why should Hsunchen not do this, but go on starving?

>Is this good towards the pack?

Is it good towards the clan/city/kin/guild/whatever? Wolf packs tend to break up in harsh winters if the leader gets weak, e.g. wounded by an elk (sorry, moose).

>Why should hsunchen because they look like humans also act like them?

Because they are humans, not beasts. They use tools, act sufficiently intelligent, have mastered fire and magic.

There are uncounted cases of Hsunchen-peoples becoming "civilized" or barbarian, and various cases where the reverse development has been observed (Genertela Players Book mentions Galanini Hsunchen in 3rd Age Ralios, whereas in the late 1st and early 2nd Age there were no true Galanini Hsunchen but quite civilized horsepeople. IMO the Galanin-descended rulers of Galin fled into the wildlands and adopted the Hsunchen lifestyle to hide out from God Learner persecution.

In the 1st Age the Pendali reverted to Hsunchen ways, too...

>The argument that people descended from hsunchen are no more
>animals than anyone else is not an argument for me since I think
>hsunchen are intelligent animals (the awakened type) born into human
>bodies.

Then why do they use tools, and fire?

>When they leave their animal society they also lose their animal spirit
>(I think this takes some generations).

This seems to be reversible. And IMO the Hsunchen originated from humans born of nymphs and minor deities (probably including the beast gods they claim as ancestors) who at first led human lives without too much beast character, but when the Darkness came adopted the bestial way for survival.

>And I see hsunchen much more than humans.

Please explain.

>Make you hsunchen as you like them, my will never become humans !

You mean they will never become Hsunchen?