Ducks hunters plus Upland Marsh

From: Sérgio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 22:40:22 +0100

Duck's Hunter god:
IMG I consider that duck hunters worship Zong instead of Odayla. The main reasons are:
- - I simply cannot see Odayla has the god of insect hunters. He is an orlanthi god, conected with storm. IMO storm his connected with mammals; darkness with insects; sun with birds; water with water creatures. If ducks hunt insects and worship an hunter god, it shouldn't be Odayla. - - Now, there is an hunter god connected with darkness and with unting insects and it's Zong. More then that, Zong is also connected with the hunting of rodents and small herbivorous and insect hunting animals. That's just the type of creatures that IMO ducks hunt (rats, lyzards, etc.). Conclusion: I g for Zong.
- - A third reason is that we tend to see DP according to the demographics and politics in the end of thrid age. We forget that before history and in the first two ages both demographics and politics were very different. The greates diffrerence was that trolls had a much stronger presence than today (hero wars time). That means that until 1250 when man reentered DP en force trolls would be a major concern for ducks (a dangerous concern I might say). Conclusion: somehow ducks had links with trolls that offered them some protection. IMG that's the cult of Zong. - - It means MGF from my point of view.

Stephen Martin:
> Without reading Sergio's post, let me just say that Greg has said that at
> the time of the Dragonkill War (i.e., before Delecti), the area where the
> Swamp is now was a series of clear lakes.
I can accept that but it still is wery vague. I would propose the next solution: the place where the Upland Marsh stands was an agricultural land in the EWF. There you would find lakes but also a complex network of irrigation and transportation cannals (remember the Puzzle Cannal in Pavis' Big Rubble is a EWF construct).

> I also got the impression that part of the reason for the creation of the
> Swamp was the damming up of the Creek Stream River.
IMO Delecti didn't need great magic skills to create the marsh, he just used the engineering skills of the EWF and closed the cannals. The damming of the Creek Stream River is a completely different business. Now, trolls, orlanthi barbarians and etc. don't have those engineering skills so they thought that Delecti was a powerfull magician to be able to achieve such an accomplishement. The interesting thing is that IMG Lunars have the knowledge to understand how the Upland Marsh was created. That means that they can destroy it very easely. That is a weapon they have to put pressure on Delecti if they need to.

> Consider this -- perhaps the Swamp was formed later, when Belintar
> changed the flow of the River?

According to Troll Pack (RQ2) Delecti formed the swamp in 1042 to protect himself against invading trolls.
IMO this was a test where he only formed a part (maybe the upper part) of Upland Marsh. It was a last resort resource he used and it was so effective that he used it lather in the DKW against dragons.

A major question IMO is what was and is the position of the river gods in what concerns the creation of the Upland Marsh and Delecti: are they frendly (unlikely); neutral; enemies?

Sergio Mascarenhas