Hsunchen = humans ?

From: Thomas Gottschall <Bloodtooth_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 04:30:54 +0200

Hi everyone,

Joerg Baumgartner telling us about hsunchen :

> That's exactly what Hsunchen are: Humans with a beast totem
> influencing
> their culture, their religion, and their afterlife.

I agree on that.

> >Many forget that it is not only a pet, but more. Would you mate with
> >your pet or call it brother?
>
> I know this has been said in Dorastor - Land of Doom. In the same
> article
> which states as "Common Knowledge" that "By day they are men, and
> behave as
> men. By night they are beasts, cunning and ferocious, and eager for
> blood."

This is something else. Common knowledge are things people (like the Orlanthi) think Telmori are. Certainly they aren't what everyone else thinks they are. I can't understand why people just want to have the write-up being not a law what Telmori are or not. Is it perhaps some can't bare the fact that sodomy exists in Glorantha ? Come on, Glorantha is not RW, and I am glad this is that way.

> "It is known that Sartarite sheep-boys bugger their ewes."

Not mentioned in any official material I know, so I doubt this is true.

> >I do not see every thing that humans do or are
> >applying to hsunchen. For example why should hsunchen lie,
> >or steal from each other?
>
> Why should humans do such a thing?

Because the bonds between humans are not so fast tied as the Telmori ones are. The Telmori are more pressed to cooperate in order to survive, not so humans.

> >Is this good towards the pack?
>
> Is it good towards the clan/city/kin/guild/whatever? Wolf packs tend
> break up in harsh winters if the leader gets weak, e.g. wounded by an
> elk
> (sorry, moose).

Wolves are much more social than humans who are very much egoistic.

> In the 1st Age the Pendali reverted to Hsunchen ways, too...

And become thus hsunchen, leaving humanity behind.

> Then why do they use tools, and fire?

Because the human body is at least better off with it than without. They use also clothing because the human body demands this.

> >And I see hsunchen much more than humans.
>
> Please explain.

If hsunchen were just like humans they would be less interesting (at least for me). So I make them special. I make their society different from that of humans (though not too different), I emphesize the animal part of this society and try to make the two-legged members more like their animal brothers. In this way they lose their humanity and become more than humans : a mixture between beast and man. Yes, they even have different spells !

> >Make you hsunchen as you like them, my will never become humans !
>
> You mean they will never become Hsunchen?

If in your opinion hsunchen must be humans : YES !

But perhaps only our definition of humanity is different and we would play hsunchen the same way. I only can't see why hsunchen should think and be moved by things ordinary humans are. Make them special and add some more magic to your Glorantha, when you can do this with ducks, why not also with hsunchen ?
- --
bye, Thomas

Visit Telmori's Forest :
http://home.t-online.de/home/Telmori/telmori.htm "Historians from England will say I'm a liar, but history is written  by those who've hanged heroes." Robert the Bruce